Sunday, February 16, 2014

Cleanin' ...

     Howdy!  Just got back from doin' a different kind of time in the grime ... pickin'-up trash in the Sam Houston National Forest with the North American Wood Ape Conservancy.  NAWAC adopted a 2.7 mile stretch of road on the Montgomery County side of F.M. 1375, and y'all can read all about their efforts by visitin' http://woodape.orgIf you aren't familiar with NAWAC, they are a top-notch research group as well as bein' a pretty swell bunch of folks!
 
     All I can say is that this was quite a humblin' experience, and everyone worked hard to get the job done.  One could only imagine what-all was found out there; everything from someone's voter registration card to a castin' seat, plenty of cans & bottles, discarded or shredded tires, busted furniture, Styrofoam cups and a bunch of used diapers.  Folks might think that diapers are biodegradable ... but it was downright degradin' to pick-up so many in such a short stretch of road.  The top find of the day was a brand-spankin' new Abu Garcia rod & reel combo by NAWAC member Travis Lawrence!
 
     After the clean-up, some friends of the NAWAC hosted a gatherin' and bonfire on their property, where we got to mow-down on some barbeque and unwind.  We listened to each other's experiences out in the field while listenin' to some good music as well.  I was pretty tuckered-out, and did not really want to drive all the way back through Houston on a Saturday night.  A few of the members had pitched a tent, and even though I had packed my bivi ... I opted to sleep open-air in the carpeted bed of my truck.
 
     Upon my departure this mornin', I drove the stretch of F.M. 1375 to view what we had accomplished.  I was familiar with the area 'cause I had bowhunted the Walker County side quite a bit some 18 years prior.  A lot has changed, but it's comfortin' to know that some folks still care enough to keep Texas wild.  I hope to join them again on their next clean-up, which I understood would happen 3 more times throughout the course of the year.  If y'all would like to help out, please give the NAWAC a shout!  Until next time, y'all be careful and have fun runnin' 'round out there in them woods.

2 comments:

Mike said...

Sure appreciate your coming out, Angelo. Much, much appreciated. I hope you had a good time and enjoyed getting to know some of the guys.

Mike

Travis Lawrence said...

Good stuff Angelo! Thanks for the kind words and for coming out to help us. Look forward to doin' it again soon brother!