Friday, May 23, 2014

Survivin' ...

Some of the attendees were (left to right) NAWAC Investigator
Tod Pinkerton, Associate Member Terra LaRochelle, Investigator
Brad McAndrews, Chanell Okoro & Investigator Travis Lawrence.
     Howdy, y’all … I was in the Sam Houston National Forest last weekend where I had the pleasure and privilege to attend a wilderness first aid training camp-out with the North American Wood Ape Conservancy.  Even though I have been CPR Certified for several years and have completed many different classes such as the Texas Parks & Wildlife Department’s Hunter Education Course and a Coast Guard Auxiliary boater education class to mention a few, this was absolutely the best and most informative event that I’ve ever experienced.  Trust me when I say that I was truly humbled to be in the company of this awesome group of folks!  NAWAC members from the greater Houston area, Galveston County, and a couple of folks from as far away as Austin and Glen Rose were in attendance.
 
Guest Chanell Okoro awaiting to place a face shield
over the "victim" to give a couple of breaths while
Travis Lawrence finishes 30 chest compressions ...
which is the current standard for administering CPR.
     Our mornin’ began with CPR & AED trainin', and then moved-on to cover some basic precautions which one may encounter while off-trail hikin’ … which I like to call “doin’ my time in the grime”.  There’s so much that can happen to folks out there in them woods; simple mistakes can become life threatinin’ situations in a very short period of time.  And with the trainin’ that the NAWAC went through this weekend, I feel confident that we will have each other’s backs and would stand a much better chance of survivin’ some of these unforeseen circumstances.  I’ve personally done some pretty stupid things out there in them woods … and I now realize that the main danger that I’ve exposed myself to over the past few decades has been goin’ it alone!  Some of the scenarios discussed this weekend really opened my eyes; so in the future, I think I’ll be doin’ my sloughstalkin’ with a buddy or two from here on out.  Remember, there’s a reason people go missin’ out there, and I don’t wanna end-up bein’ a dang statistic!  If you happen to be in remote or rugged terrain and break somethin’ or have a traumatic injury, can you make it out?  Or, if you’re with someone else and things go south, can they depend on you for their survival?  Trainin’ such as this could increase the odds significantly!
 
     Some of the other topics that the group covered were basic patient assessment, basic wound care in the field, anything from bleedin’ wounds to shock and thoracic injuries … or sucking chest wounds.  Did y’all know that yer driver license and some duct tape can possibly help save someone with a collapsed lung?  This creates a one-way valve; any port in a storm, y’all … and these folks really know how to think outside the dang box!  The group covered everything from long-bone splinting, usin’ both natural and man-made materials, to abdominal injuries as severe as evisceration!  God forbid, someone trips and falls on a Cypress knee, or an arrow with a broad-head … or gets gut-shot; like I said, much can happen out there in them woods.  We learned not to try to push the exposed bowel back into the wound … ‘cause this could introduce further contaminants that could infect the wound.  We also learned to keep the bowel moist; lots of gauze and a bottled water mixed with a couple of drops of tincture of iodine for sterilization … that is, as long as the patient ain’t allergic to iodine!  Let’s see … our victim has a gaping wound with an exposed bowel, and now infection could be settin’-in due to improper treatment.  To compound matters, the patient is goin’ into anaphylactic reaction to boot … brilliant!  Kinda makes you wonder what that person’s odds of survivin’ are now?  We then discussed the bonuses of knowin’ such things about the folks you’re goin’ to be out in the field with … like personal health issues, any medications they may have taken and allergies.  If you always go prepared; or better yet, (and think about this) if you prepare for failure, you and/or the folks that you are with may stand a much-better chance of makin’ it out to tell about it …
 
     We trained in various ways to secure the patient as well as the immediate area of treatin’ that patient, and how to be aware of and the possibility of stoppin’ any potential threats while treatin’ that patient, movin’ that injured patient or gettin’ ‘em to another area for evacuation.  This phase covered different types of patient carries includin’ make-shift stretchers or usin’ litters.  I had no idea what the Hell a litter was, and to tell y’all the truth, this portion was almost an epic fail for me, as well as the volunteer patient and the five other NAWAC team members tryin’ to carry him!  An evacuation litter is basically a packable “go-stretcher” with six nylon-webbed loops used as handles to lift and carry someone on.  It looked simple enough until I lifted; and after carryin’ ‘em for several yards I soon realized that my weddin’ band on my left hand and the puzzle-ring on my right were cuttin’ into my friggin’ fingers!  After havin’ to stop twice, and takin’ an awkwardly embarrisin’ break, it took only four of us usin’ a poly-tarp and two 7’ to 8’ lengths of 3” to 4” in diameter pieces of tree-falls to transport that same patient with ease!  Hell, I only used one hand; needless to say, I had already removed my rings, which I will not be wearin’ anytime soon, or at least ‘til the swellin’ goes down.  I usually don’t wear ‘em out in the field, and should have had the sense enough to remove them.  But in two infamous quotes from Forrest Gump, sometimes … “I’m not a smart man …” and, “Stupid is as stupid does.”  In an emergency situation, everyone needs to not only stay calm, but think things through to avoid any further injuries to the victim, the team or themselves.
 
     We then discussed medication administration for various illnesses and injuries that could be encountered in a wilderness environment.  Part of this included allergic reactions and trainin’ with an EPI pen, which is an injectable dose of epinephrine in case you or one of your team members goes into anaphylactic shock.  Anaphylaxis could be caused by anything from an insect bite or sting to havin’ an allergic reaction to a plant, food or medicine.  Symptoms such as severe itchin’ or rash, swellin’, a drop in the patient’s blood pressure and respiratory failure could happen within’ a matter of minutes.  Been there, done that!  Even though I am deathly afraid of needles, I have religiously carried an EPI pen for several years now.  I’d much rather inject myself than shut-down & die any day!  In my opinion, no first aid kit is complete without one …
 
This is not the smartest way to secure
a copperhead; I've been guilty of such
stupidity over the years!  Mowin' in just
flip-flops ain't too dang smart, either! 
     The group also covered bites, stings and poisonous plants … and the identification of the culprits such as ticks, spiders, scorpions, bees & wasps and venomous snakes.  We learned that your driver license can also be used to remove an insect’s stinger, and usin’ suction for snake and spider bites is a big friggin’ no-no!  Back in the day, you were supposed to try and dispatch and bring the snake with you to the hospital; but, the times … they are a changin’!  We learned that antivenin is now pretty much-well the same “cocktail” for all North American snakes.  And, I learned not to use my trusty X-ACTO to cut into or drain spider bites.  Been there, done that as well!  Hours after the bite, I attempted to drain it.  I had then soaked the wound in a hydrogen peroxide, isopropyl alcohol mix, in which I had pre-heated.  I applied this “thunk-up, redneck liquid remedy” via a full shot-glass turned upside down directly onto my wound.  When I told this to the group … one member rolled their eyes and exclaimed, “Nooo!”  Well, at this point y’all can either go back to my Forrest Gump references, or maybe think of that Roger Alan Wade tune, “If You’re Gonna Be Dumb, You Gotta Be Tough.
 
Travis Lawrence looks on as NAWAC Investigators
Gene Bass and Brad McAndrews attend to Chanell
Okoro's immediate needs in this field assessment.
     The last items we touched-on were bandaging; one member wrapped another’s ankle while discussin’ proper immobilization; his technique was precise … just like everything else that we learned throughout our weekend of training.  We covered several different types of wraps and splinting, and wrappin’ materials such as ACE bandages or even improvised materials such as duct tape (over-the-clothing).  I am still taken-back on what-all and how much we learned in such a short period of time, and I for one really, did not want this course to end.  All of these amazin’ folks made one Hell of a team, and it made you appreciate what all first responders can do for us when the chips are down.  And remember, some of the attendees served our country in one capacity or another, and helped to try and save our fallen heroes; that's right ... the ones who gave all.  Please keep these folks in mind this upcomin’ Memorial Day weekend ...
 
     There has been talk of another class possibly this fall, so if any of y’all are interested … I’ll be sure and give y'all the heads-up.  The best way to keep up with any future activities is by gettin’ involved with the North American Wood Ape Conservancy.  I cannot tell y’all enough what a fine and fun bunch of folks they are!  This is the most professional team of field researchers and serious outdoor enthusiasts that I’ve ever encountered.  Period.  And, they are a non-profit organization, just tryin’ to find out some answers on what this mystery animal actually is.  So, how do I know so much about the NAWAC, y’all may ask?  ‘Cause I finally stepped-up to the plate and joined ‘em!  You’d be amazed at who-all they are and what-all they are about.  These folks are the real deal, and bring serious field research up to the next level.  So if any of y’all would like to know more, hit their Web site at http://woodape.org … or follow ‘em on Facebook.  So, until next time … y’all have fun and be safe runnin’ ‘round out there in them woods.  And remember … it’s all about survivin’!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a useful post here. Really opens my eyes to how little I knew, and what I need to be learnin' before I get back out into them woods!