Sunday, January 4, 2015

Preppin' ...

     Howdy, y'all ... hope all of you and yours have had the safest & happiest of holidays!  I've not wasted any time around the house, 'cause I've been preppin' my gear for a grand New Year.  I'll be headin' back to Caddo Lake, The Big Thicket, the Ozarks and God only knows where else or what other sights I'll be blessed enough to see.  There's no time like the present to get your gear in order, 'cause before we know it spring will be upon us.  So, why worry about broken or failed gear just before a trip?  My hapless old ass has learned the hard way on many of occasions not to procrastinate when it comes to takin' care of my outdoor gear.  Always go prepared is the motto I (try to) live by, so preventative maintenance is a big part of preparedness.  I'd rather spend some quality time in the grime than bein' out there fixin' sh¡t, so this is why I've already started preppin' ...

A boat is just a floatin' friggin' hole to pour money into ...
     When it comes to my sloughstalkin' ... my boat is what I heavily rely on to get me where I need to get to and back, both safely and reliably.  But then, we all know that a boat is just a floatin' friggin' hole to pour money into ... and I was reminded of that fact just 2 weeks before Christmas.  I sure am glad that Mrs. Claus didn't balk on Santa's repair clause, 'cause not only did I hafta replace a $112.00 deep-cycle crankin' battery, but my $150.00 Guest on-board chargin' system was shot as well.  While I was switchin' stuff out, I cleaned all of the electrical contacts, changed fuses, changed-out the fuel, the fuel filter, plugs, etc. and plan to run it soon.  And if you love it, lube it!  Now, some of y'all need to keep your minds outta the dang gutter ... I was referrin' to the steering cable and wheel bearings.  I'd rather not deal with the consequences of neglect while I'm out and about.  Been there, done that!  I've launched on Caddo Lake with a frozen steerin' cable, as well as broke-down on the side of a highway with an axle snapped at the spindle.  And it seems that the farther away you are from home, the more expensive those repairs seem to get!

The new home away from home! My true test will be a wet spring in the swamp; and yes, there is a rain-fly!
     Now, let's talk about campin' gear.  My Cabela's one-man bivi has always been a great packable tent for hikin' ... but I felt the need for a comfortable base camp.  I'm now over 50, and sleepin' on the dang ground ain't gettin' any dang softer. I both enjoy and deserve some comfort in my old age, especially if I were to be out in them woods a week or so at a time.  Last year, I purchased a brand-spankin' new Ozark Trail 13' x 9' eight person tent, 2 cots and a 10' x 10' awning from "Y'allmart".  As simple as their online videos showed that this stuff is supposed to set-up, it's always a good idea to make a mock camp a few times before takin' everything out into the field.  God forbid you gotta set-up in the dark, durin' a thunderstorm or both ... and then somethin' ends-up missin' or possibly was broke to begin with!  I'd rather not spend a few days in a tent that leaks either, so I always field-test new campin' gear prior to me havin' to heavily rely on it.  Well, thank God I practice what I preach ... 'cause one of the main support poles on the tent was assembled bass-friggin'-ackwards and upside-friggin'-down, as well as bein' jammed together so tight, I thought I was goin' to break the dang thang 'fore I even got to use it.  Hell, it took me & my neighbors Milton & Farrell just to get them friggin' poles apart!


The rounded-side was inverted at the manufacturer ...
... note the damaged sleeve (center) that was jammed!
     I tell y'all what ... if I'd have found an "inspected by" sticker on that friggin' tent, I think I might've been arrested for makin' a terroristic-threat!  There was abso-friggin'-lutely no way in Hell that anyone had set that tent up prior to packagin' it.  After a lengthy re-assembly with tools I probably wouldn't have had out there in them woods, it actually set-up easy enough.  But then, I kinda noticed that the online video did not completely show the dis-assembly portion of said tent.  It shows how easy it is to collapse your tent ... but does not show anyone how to re-pack it.  Surprise!  I found out why ... it's pretty much well a 2 person job to get that 8 person tent back into its friggin' carry-bag.  The 10' x 10' instant gazebo was easy enough for one person to set-up and break-down, as long as you didn't attempt it in a brisk winter wind.  Re-packin' that damn thang was no picnic, either.  At least the new cots were a no-brainer and seemed comfortable enough, but I've made myself sleep in 'em a few times just to make sure.  Sleep deprivation after a full day of sloughstalkin' could lead to me makin' a costly mistake, as in gettin' myself or someone else hurt.  Again, this is why they call it preppin' ... so until next time, y'all take heed and take care!

No comments: