Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Missin' ...

     Howdy!  I know it’s been awhile, y’all ... but no, I ain’t missin’!  I’ve just been busier than a cat tryin’ to cover-it-up on concrete gettin’ ready for some upcomin’ excursions.  Due to this cold, wet winter weather … I’ve been gettin' a bit stir-crazy and need to get back out into them woods before I start havin’ a friggin’ come-undone!  After all that Preppin' ... I’ve finally finished the boat repairs and have culled my fishin’ & sloughstalkin’ gear for an upcomin’ trip to Caddo Lake.  A friend and I will not only be doin’ some bass fishin’, but we’ll be revisitin’ the area of Our Encounter with one of Animal Planet’s associate producers from the show, Finding Bigfoot.  Yeah, really.  Now, before anyone starts labelin’ me a friggin’ hypocrite, just gimme a chance to explain …

Late winter on Caddo Lake; the bass still bite, but nothin' gets green 'til at least April ...
     Back in early December, I’d received an e-mail from someone statin’ that he is an associate producer from Animal Planet, and is lookin’ for eyewitnesses for an upcomin’ Finding Bigfoot episode to be filmed at Caddo Lake.  At first, I thought someone was just funnin’ me; after all, I had just posted my rant “Exploitin’ …” a couple of weeks prior!  I thought to myself, hmmm … why in the Hell would someone want me of all people to be on their dang TV show?  I responded to him out of both curiosity and courtesy, and politely let them know that I was definitely not “town hall material” … nor did I want my 15-minutes, if y’all know what I mean.  After speakin’ with this person on the phone, he stated that they were lookin’ for legitimate witnesses to this animal in the Caddo Lake area.  Well, we fit the bill … but, did we really wanna be a part of what I had previously dubbed “surreality” TV?

     My son and I are both in a bit of a quandary about that.  After all, we get enough ridicule from family, friends & co-workers about havin’ witnessed this animal; so, why add fuel to the fire by bein’ on a program that’s lookin’ for an animal that’s not yet been proven to even exist?  Hell, we know what we saw … as in, close enough to know that it was a real animal.  The problem is, I’d much rather make a mark spendin’ time in the grime gettin’ some definitive proof, rather than havin’ folks tell us that they saw us on some dang TV program!  I have a few friends & associates who have appeared on different television programs, documentaries, radio shows and podcasts concernin’ this subject; however, I for one don’t feel the need to join in the fray …

A wall of Cypress on the glassy shore of Mossy Break ...
     While my son and I won’t be participatin’ in any of the actual filmin’ … I have agreed to take an associate producer out to the area where we saw this animal.  Of course, I told them that they picked the worst friggin’ time to film on Caddo, and that they really needed to be out there when everything was green, thick, alive & thrivin’!  The associate producer that I initially spoke with was very cordial, professional and understood our reluctance to appear on camera.  He then explained to me that unfortunately, they have no control as far as schedulin’ was concerned.  Even though this particular program is not really among my personal favorites, I ain’t the type of feller to be inhospitable; and, I offered to help them in their endeavors.  By the way ... that’s called southern hospitality!

     I ended-up sendin' the Animal Planet crew our photos and some audio files from the night that we’d spent out there one cold Spring Break, back in 2010.  I’ll be takin’ my friend and this other associate producer (who I have not yet spoken with or met) out to do some sloughstalkin’.  Durin’ the day I’ll give 'em the “nickel lake tour” and we'll hopefully spend some time in the grime!  At night we’ll run through Smith’s Slough between Horse Island and Hell’s Half Acre to see what-all we can scare-up.  Keep in mind, I ain’t part of the whoop or tree-knockin’ crowd.  This agenda, of course will all be weather permittin’ … ‘cause late February is not always kind (weather-wise, that is) in northeast Texas!  I’d hate to get them boys out there and get stuck in an approachin’ cold front, high-winds or a severe thunderstorm and come-up friggin’ missin’ …

     And, speakin’ of which, I’m really beginnin’ to miss my dang heat & skeeters right about now; this cold & wet has gotta get, no matter what that friggin’ groundhog sees!  Hmmm, wonder if one of them critters would make a good gumbo?  Anywho, I’ll be sure and give y’all an update after our trip, get lotsa pics and maybe even a double-digit bass or two.  Until then, y’all take care and c’mon back now, you hear?

No comments: